Thursday, December 29, 2005

Links at 1 a.m.

Nothing like staying up til 1 a.m. painting the living room. In my current cracked-out state of mind, I thought I'd share a few tidbits I ran across today...

Studio Confirms Tekken, Castlevania, Pac-Man Details
My favorite bit of this article... "Tekken and Castlevania are both names familiar to millions of videogamers around the world, and Hollywood is far from exhausting the pool of potential that exists in console games, despite numerous flops at the box office."
Listen. If you're seriously considering making movies based on Tekken and Castlevania, I'm sorry, but the "pool of potential" is a pool of dust. Give up now, please, before you ruin any more fond memories of my childhood.

An awesome article on the Team that won the DARPA Grand Challenge by creating a car that could drive itself successfully across 300 miles of desert. And they make it sound so simple...

I'll give that it's a cool gimmick. Nissan has a concept car with a built-in XBox 360, that allows the driver to use the controls (while in park, thank you), to play games like Project Gotham Racing 3. If it wasn't for this gimmick, I never would've noticed that Nissan had a concept car, so I guess it's served it's purpose. Doubly so, in that now you know about it too. The first time I see someone sitting in a parking spot downtown acting like they're racing in the Grand Prix though, I'll think they're a fruitcake, just like if I saw someone downtown talking into thin air... hmm... wait a second.

On September 26, 1983, we almost died. A little blurb on Dkos that brought to my attention Stanislav Petrov, a Soviet Commander who deliberately disobeyed orders in 1983, thus saving the lives of pretty much everyone on the planet. What's more, he wasn't supposed to be on duty that night. Don't let anyone tell you that software bugs aren't dangerous...

'nuff said, goodnight...

1 comment:

Mattbear said...

Dude, if they quit making video game movies, what will become of Uwe Boll? He might have to, you know, get a real job or something.

And thanks for that Russian nuclear war diversion story. Like I didn't have enough to worry about. I mean, who do you think had a more stable regime? 1983's Chernenko, or 2006's Kim Jong Il?
I'm going to go build a bomb shelter now. Thanks.